(This turned into a long ramble that I refuse to edit down into anything compelling)
Where we last left off the motor mounts had been rebuilt on the engine side but lacked the mounting plates on the chassis, sill panels were being formed and tacked into place, and a section of LH fender had been formed using a Chevy bedside.
Motor mounts are finished, just need to locate the transmission then they can be welded down. The part was simple to produce but I had a hard time getting the materials needed, eventually liberating some scraps from work. Left and Right hand sills are welded in, still more work to do making a third cell that'll extend down the weakest section of frame (between passenger compartment and front suspension). Also haven't welded the top surface and door jamb together, as I want more details ironed out before committing.
Met with @Rusty-Vandura a few weeks ago and bought a LSD equipped 8.8 axle destined for his Crown Vic, that was sadly stolen. We both traveled a ways to meet up, had a good conversation, and made the exchange.
As a direct result of that conversation I picked up a custom shift knob from @CobraJoe . Driven with it on the F250 for a week and love it, really nice fit and finish.
Formed the RH fender slab using a Tundra bedside, it was a good test of how easy will it be to maintain symmetry. So far so good.
Got to work on the top section of fender, normally you'd try and form the largest section possible but in this case it's a patchwork because I have to work around the metal I can find. In the long run the whole cars getting skim Coated in filler because I feel the car won't get done if I try and make everything perfect in metal.
Started extending the dash out to the steering wheel, to do that I've got a strip off the Sprinter window and made the necessary cutouts for the defrost. The challenge here is keeping everything straight so when I weld the two together the dash isn't cocked over weird. It's nearly ready to go just havnt decided if I'll save a bunch of time and overlap one over the other or try and trim them straight for a butt weld.(probably dosent matter since it'll be wrapped in leather)
This morning was pulling the Locosts axle out in the hopes of swapping the 7.5" s197 mustang brakes onto the Vic 8.8 Axle. No joy, and surprisingly the internet was wrong and the Vic axle is actually wider then my current one (wanted a thinner rear track with the 8.8 upgrade). Either way today I'll finish stripping the Axle off its flanges, chip off some rust and get it ready to weld on my own. Should drop back in with no problems but I'm seeing the driveshaft is slightly offset, havnt measured it yet as I don't really want to know.
That's about up to speed, work continues though I now do this exact kind or thing at work for 9-10 hour a day and it's harder to keep at it.
Work project is a making a completely bare 60's f100 fit a custom frame designed for a car, then make it run and drive within a few months. It's also an 800hp edelbrock lt4. So far I've cut and relocated the frame front and rear, plated those areas, located and mounted the body to the chassis making all the mounts from scratch, extended the rear rails, shortened the front bumper, built a removable core support, made an LS radiator fit, removable crossmember, smoothed firew blah blah blah...
As an Apprentice every step is a new challenge and it takes alot out of you trying to design and built things on a professional level within a reasonable time.
Everything I know about fabrication is from the Locost and starting this project a couple years ago I knew nothing, its pretty much fastracked my way into a career that's so far been satisfying if not stressful, time consuming, and Apprentice wages.
I don't necessarily enjoy working on the car, though I often look forward to it. It's more along the lines of showing up for class and putting your time into the course work.