My friend and I tore into the Maytag further over the weekend. This mainly involved taking apart and cleaning the "carburetor".
I say "carburetor", because the fueling setup for the Maytag 72 is ridiculously simple. The carburetor jet and pickup tube sit low in the fuel tank and the assembly is held in place with a set-screw. And corrosion - lots of corrosion.
With the pickup tube removed from the engine block, it was time to thoroughly clean it. Per the service manual (which I bought), the jet should be cleaned with a No. 72 drill bit. Bonus points to anyone who can find it on the workbench!
This and an unhealthy amount of carb cleaner were used, and a fair bit of junk was flushed out. You could now spray carb cleaner in one end and it would actually exit the other end, and quite smartly, too.
We also removed the air inlet tube (the piece with the knob) during cleaning. During removal, and especially during re-installation, we noticed that the air inlet tube was quite loose. Not knowing if that would cause an air leak, we added pipe tape around the stem as a temporary solution.
After re-assembly, it was time to see if the Maytag would finally start. We started out on the bench-top, like before. After many attempts, it gave hints of wanting to start but wouldn't. We then had the thought: "It's called a kick-starter for a reason, should we try setting it on the ground and actually kick-start it?" It turns out you can get a lot more momentum with your leg and body weight rather than with your arm...
It finally started and ran! We first got it running in the shop, but quickly decided it best to take it outside.
Now I said that it runs, but don't just take my word for it:
And a little bit later:
The Twin still needs a bunch of work. The ignition system probably needs a good tune-up, and I'm sure a better job of a full cleaning is needed. The inside of the tank (and the whole engine) really needs stripped, cleaned-up, and painted. I also need to decide the final goal of the intended restoration job, but at this point, I'm just happy that it runs!
This brings me to the parts Twin.
We took a brief look at the parts Twin as well, and I actually took a picture of it this time. It's in rough shape, and missing quite a bit - I knew this when I bought it. I mean, I bought it for $20 and am calling it "the parts Twin" for a reason...
The tank bottom is full of holes, and the tank top has a crack in it - which we just discovered. The crankshaft nose has some damage on the flywheel side, and the flywheel and most of the magneto are missing. There is also no starter assembly. It does seem to have compression, amazingly.
Since the red Twin is now running, my current plan is to keep that as the base. I want to tear into the parts Twin soon and see if the heads are any good. Hopefully they are, because then the goal would be to swap over the parts Twin heads as part of the restoration project. The heads on the parts Twin are I believe a two year only style (1937 & 1938), and should be period correct for the flywheel (The SN puts it as a Feb. 1938). Maytag only put an ID on the flywheel, so there is really no knowing what year the block is. Design cues can tell you the general period of the heads, but again no exact years. The goal would be to end up with a period correct looking 1938 engine.
Also, and unrelated: My friend has some new occupants in his shop:
A mutual friend had their living situation change abruptly, so these two will be rooming here for a while. I'm not too keen on when that happens (sometimes it can't be helped), but at least we get shop cats out of it for a while!