Sooo, Sasha pictured below was bought 2 years ago and had an aftermarket alarm/immobilizer. I was advised by oppo to remove it right away cuz they're sketchy and the immobilizer could brick the car. Also the fobs were GARBAGE.
I did some research and it turns out removing such an alarm sounds like work.... so I didn't do it. Realistically though I know I could easily do the task skill-wise but the headache of futzing with so many vital electric connections didn't seem worth it. Until now. As I build Sasha into the RACECAR she deserves to be I'm taking care of a lot of maintenance and had some time to tackle the alarm tonight.
Lets start here and ignore the actual alarm horn under the hood cuz that was cake. This is the module, and if you even glance at the wiring you know this isn't going to be pretty. So I start following wires, and bunches etc. Lots of little holes drilled, lots of wires bunched up around others and tangled. Ugh.
You can see some of the rats nest being pulled out. It will likely surprise none of you what came next. As I got down to the really important wires, tapping power, tapping ignition, tapping lock/unlock etc........ this is what I came to.
WRAPPED WIRES AROUND STRIPPED SECTIONS WITH JUST E-TAPE TO HOLD
Ok, I know this is really common and standard and stuff and I've done it all the time in the past, but NOT FOR FUCKING IMPORTANT PERMANENT INSTALLS. Honestly I have no idea how this lasted for years and never left me stranded or on fire.... and therefore stranded.
Oh and one fun thing, I took ages tracking and accessing 2 wires that went to the door lock. Had to take apart the door card and some brackets. THEY WERE JUST HANGING LOOSE AGAINST THE WINDOW ughhhh
Well unfortunately I ran out of time so I'll have to finish wiring and test my work tomorrow but the whole system is removed at least. And I know this isn't really that bad in the grand scheme of things I just needed a good rant