FTTOHG last edited by
I've been working on getting the posts formatted more like they were on Kinja. It's not perfect, but I think it is working OK. At least on a PC. On mobile everything is pretty tiny. My script is churning through 150,000 posts at the moment that I hope to upload in a little but but I might give up and go to sleep. I put a few test pages up to play with:
Remember the images are all still coming from Kinja.com! We don't know when they might turn off the lights on them and so far I don't know if we have a coherent plan to save them. I plan to start something this weekend but how far it goes really depends on how much space they take up when I start downloading them
- The post author block is cleaned up and looks a lot more like the FP than it did before. I've moved the stars and comment count up to the top on the right side since I uploaded these tests, but I didn't pull any new test files since the batch script is running now.
- Comment count added to the top of the page links right to the comments section
- YouTube embeds now work.
- Headings work somewhat.
- Picture captions work somewhat.
- Comments that aren't replies to the top post link to the comment they reply to when you click on them.
What's still Missing (And may or may not ever be fixed at this point)
- Only 100 comments were captured from the original post - if more than 100 they just show like there are 100.
- Embeds besides YouTube don't work.
- Any special code (mainly links) in captions don't work.
- Pretty much all special formatting is hit or miss. Line breaks basically don't work. Some headings work some don't. Bold and italic without a heading are just plain text right now.
- Comments are in chronological order. So comments that reply to other comments aren't right under the one they reply to. I'd love to fix this but it will be tricky. In the meantime if you get lost you can click the reply to name and the page should scroll to that comment. If there is no link the comment is replying to the original post. It isn't perfect but it is better than my first attempt that just laid everything out with no indication of what was a reply to what.
- There is no search or filter functionality. I'd love to make the tags active and add the ability to search by author but that is way down the road at this point.
I'll post another update here when that next batch of posts is live.
6MT_FTW last edited by
You are awesome. Thank you for doing this. I have enjoyed going back through the years and checking out my old posts (amongst others) and can't wait to see my earliest ones, probably from 2009 or 2010.
Stef Schrader last edited by
This is incredible, and I couldn't love the URL for it more, haha.
FTTOHG last edited by
@6mt_ftw it looks like mid-2013 is about as far back as it goes. That’s when the big Kinja 1.0 rollout was across Gawker. I’m not sure if the older posts still exist somewhere or not but they don’t show up in the archive feeds. I’ll start scraping the older ones this AM. Even if I don’t get them saved there are a couple others in Oppo Discord that i believe already have them copied to their local drives so I think we have everything in text going back to 2013 at least. We just need to get it organized and out onto a site y’all can get to it.
WhoIsTheLeader last edited by WhoIsTheLeader
Jb boin's archive is very complete with images and formatting but it's also difficult to access a specific post and doesn't include comments. This is very promising. Keep at it!